So if you have read this article on interviewing you now know how to ace an interview. You feel pretty confident about how to prepare for and answer interview questions. However, you are still unsure as to how to end the interview so that you can leave a lasting impression. Here are some tips on how to wrap up an interview:
- When the interviewer has asked all the questions he/she has prepared for you, he/she will typically ask you if you have any questions for them. Take this time to show them the research you have done to prepare for this interview and that you are truly interested and passionate about this role – always ask the interviewer 3-5 questions you have prepared.
Some topics you can base your questions off of are:
- Projects and tasks you will work on in the role you are applying for
- Training opportunities
- Interviewer’s positions (why they like working at this company, their career path, etc.)
- Current events impacting the company
- Company’s plans for future growth
Some topics you should never address with these questions are:
- Salary or hours
- Housing accommodations
- Controversial topics
- Company criticisms
- Personal topics
- Ask if it is appropriate for you to get their business card or contact information so you can follow up with them
- Offer a firm handshake and thank the interviewer for their time
- Follow up with a thank you note or email within 48 hours – include a conversation topic that occurred during your interview so it can ring a bell with the interviewer and they will easily remember who you were
If you want to practice your interview skills and how to successfully wrap up an interview, come to the Center for Career Development located in Wilbur Cross Room 202 with a copy of your resume and sign up for a Practice Interview with our Practice Interview team who can provide you with additional tips and advice. You should also check out our interviewing tips.
Best of luck to everyone during this recruiting season! Stop by or call the Center for Career Development for any further questions!