An internship or co-op experience can be an excellent way to explore a potential career and network with professionals in your field. The spring semester can be a busy and stressful time for students interested in securing one of these opportunities for the summer or fall. Attending UConn’s Internship and Co-op Fair is a great way to find one. However, the process is not as simple as just showing up; students need to prepare in order to make the fair an exciting and successful experience. Here are some helpful tips and resources to help with your preparation.
- Research which companies and organizations will be at the fair. Make a list of those you are interested in and visit their career pages online to learn more about their company and the internship program or position. Write down some questions to ask these potential employers on the day of the fair.
- Update your résumé to reflect your most current experiences. We highly suggest having your résumé critiqued at the Center for Career Development* prior to the internship fair and before you submit applications. For more information and résumé resources, see our Résumé Guidebook
- Prepare your Pitch. A great opening line can make you memorable to potential employers and can make the transition into a networking conversation. Find out the best way to prepare an excellent elevator pitch.
- Dress to Impress. Make sure you have proper attire for attending the fair; you’ll want to look presentable and professional. For more tips on what is appropriate, check out our professional attire resource and read about career fair dress codes.
- Bring important materials that you will need throughout the fair. We suggest a padfolio with lined paper to take notes, a pen or a pencil, and two résumés for each employer you plan to visit. Don’t forget to turn off your cell phone and leave the chewing gum at home.
After reviewing these steps, you should be feeling prepared and excited to attend the Internship and Co-op Fair! Stay tuned for Part II of this blog series that will discuss overcoming nerves and stress on the day of the fair. Good luck!
*Résumé critique hours are 10am – 5pm Monday through Friday in Wilbur Cross 202.