Same as tailoring clothes to fit your body, you should tailor your résumé to fit each specific position for which you are applying. I couldn’t even count how many different résumés I have created over the years. From public to private accounting, to career confusion (applying to various types of jobs in the business field), and finally to graduate school applications…I have re-worded, re-organized, and approached my résumé from many angles.
Graduate school was especially interesting! I tailored a résumé to both the school and to every graduate assistantship for which I applied within that school. I did this same process for six to seven schools. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it.
So why do we tailor our résumé to each application?
- Show you care
By tailoring your résumé, you will show the employer that you cared enough to create a document specific to their job posting. This effort shows that you are really interested and not just applying to whatever jobs are out there.
- Prove you have all the qualifications
Explicitly state you have the qualifications for the position in your bullet points and provide examples to prove you really have those skills. There is no better way to prove this.
- Impress the employer
By tailoring your résumé you will impress the employer by showing that you care, they can easily tell you possess all the qualifications for the position, and they will be so happy they did not have to waste time deciphering your experiences.
- Increase your chances of success
As stated in the above, you will absolutely increase your chances of success by tailoring your résumé.
Have I convinced you yet? Here are a few ways we can help you make this process easier for you:
- Attend our Tailoring the Irresistible Résumé presentation on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 from 5-6pm in Laurel Hall, Room 202.
- Visit the Center for Career Development for a 20 minute Résumé Critique Monday through Friday between 10am and 5pm in Wilbur Cross, Room 202. Be sure to bring an internship or job description!
- Visit our walk-in hours for a 15 minute appointment Monday through Friday between 12pm and 4pm.
We look forward to seeing you.