With the start of the New Year comes the opportunity for change. Many of us have committed to yearlong resolutions about our diets, spending habits and even about our love life. But actually accomplishing some of these resolutions in a year’s end can be quite difficult once the semester begins. Which is why I recommend making specific and realistic resolutions where you can measure your success over the course of the spring semester. Your professional life is a great place to start making some of these resolutions. Here are five practical resolutions that can give you a competitive edge as you prepare to apply for summer internships or full time employment.
- Seek one-on-one career counseling from a career consultant in the Center for Career Development. Sessions typically focus on exploring careers, writing resumes or cover letters, graduate school search, finding jobs and internships.
- Schedule a Résumé Critique with the Center for Career Development.
- Research Internship or Employment Opportunities through internet search engines and job posting sites, including the Center for Career Development’s HuskyCareerLink site. Students who use this site can immediately start networking with employers, participate in on campus interviews, and view and apply to electronic job postings and internship opportunities.
- “Practice makes perfect.” Learn how to make your best impression by participating in a practice interview. The Center for Career Development offers practice interviews which are recorded and critiqued to provide you the opportunity to see your performance.
- Attend the Spring Semester Career Fair which will be held on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion. This is an opportunity for you to network and meet potential employers even if you are not graduating.
Now that you had a break from homework and exams it is time to gear up for the beginning of a wonderful spring semester. Let these five practical resolutions guide your career development this semester!
photos: google images