(Pictures from the Internship Showcase & Bootcamp, January 30, 2017)
From January 30th through February 3rd, the Center for Career Development was abuzz with excitement – it was Internship & Co-op Week! This week of programming was intended to help UConn students (both grads and undergrads!) find what fits them in terms of internships and co-ops. Did you miss an event during the week? Here are 5 key takeaways:
- Internships look different – but can be really (REALLY) valuable! Close to 40 students presented about their various internship experiences at the Internship Showcase & Bootcamp on January 30th. Each experience looked different, each company presented unique opportunities, and no two majors were alike. However, one common theme emerged: every student valued aspects of their experiences and shared how their internship is helping to define their post-graduation plans. So, they matter!
- Going to the Internship & Co-op Fair is one of the BEST ways to engage with recruiters! We had close to 70 employers on campus for this year’s Fair, which took place on February 1st. Students were given the opportunity to engage with professionals from so many industries – if you didn’t get a chance to attend, make sure you go to the next Fair offered by the CCD!
- How you follow up can leave a lasting impression. Recruiters shared with us on multiple occasions: going and connecting with them at the Fair wasn’t quite enough. Be sure to follow up as well! A professional, polite email reminding them of your conversation and reiterating your interest in the company can make a big difference – and don’t wait too long to send it!
- Look the part! Professional attire can vary based on industry, company, or even personal preference. However, looking professional and dusting off that suit shows that you care and put effort into attending an event.
- Connect with CCD staff as often as questions come up! Staff at the Center for Career Development engages with recruiters on a daily basis. If a new trend emerges in the world of recruiting, odds are, we’re going to hear about it! If you’d like help with cover letters, resumes, LinkedIn, and more – stop by!
If you’re seeking an internship or co-op and don’t know where to start, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. The CCD is located right in Wilbur Cross (right in the center of campus, people!) are we are happy to help you find what fits you!