“Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.” – Oprah Winfrey
Welcome back, Huskies! The next semester is bound to be a fantastic one – and with a strong to-do list and purposeful goals, you have the potential to make it even stronger. It’s not too early to begin thinking about career development and where you want to be come May 2018 (it’ll be here before we know it!). Looking ahead and seeing all that’s available this semester, here are 5 goals you might want to consider adding to your semester to-do list:
1. Have your resume critiqued! Whether you’re interested in volunteering, research, internships, co-ops, or full-time jobs come summer, you’ll likely need a resume – and you’ll want to make sure it’s tailored and error-free. Resume critiques are available each weekday; you can sign up for a time right now through Nexus!
2. If you’re thinking an internship or co-op might be the right fit for you, be sure to participate in Internship & Co-op Week! The Center for Career Development will be hosting programs aimed at helping you find opportunities and engage with employers.
3. Check your online presence to make sure it’s the best reflection of who you are as a professional. Odds are, employers are going to Google you and will be interested in your online presence. Take a few moments to make sure your social media, including your LinkedIn profile, are polished and represent you well.
4. Save the date for all career fairs! This semester will bring several opportunities to connect with employers – right on campus. From Careers for the Common Good to Internships & Co-ops – there’s something just for you. See when the next career fair is taking place and save the date!
5. Practice your interviewing skills. The Center for Career Development offers Practice Interviews all year long; if you think you might be interviewing soon or already have one scheduled, reach out for some practice! Get more information about interviewing, and request a Practice Interview.
A new semester can bring about a fresh start – and a fresh to-do list! Not sure where to begin? Not to worry – the Center for Career Development has professionals ready to support you through career coaching sessions. Simply reach out to schedule a conversation with a member of our team!