Application Overview 2022-2023
Open to current graduate students who have engaged in a career-related experience during their graduate program between Summer 2022 and Spring 2023. A career development experience might be called an internship, fellowship, practicum, volunteer program, co-op, etc. Two awardees will be selected, one doctoral degree student and one master’s degree student.
- Past Career Development Experience award winners are not eligible to apply.
- Career experiences not considered for awards are Graduate Assistant, Teaching Assistant, or Research Assistant roles at UConn or UCHC.
- The career-related experience cannot be a requirement of a degree or a departmental course.
- The experience may have occurred in-person or virtually and must have had a supervisor.
- Experiences must have been a minimum of 10 hours a week for a minimum 6-week period and occurring between Summer 2022 to Spring 2023.
- Applicants must be in good standing with the University.
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload your résumé or CV (in the online application) that includes your career development experience with bullet point statements.
- Submit an up to 800-word count single-spaced reflection essay addressing the following five learning themes:
a. Identify what your career-related experience entailed, including some of your key responsibilities – 100 words or less;
b. Share why you sought this experience (key reason or reasons);
c. Choose one of the NACE career readiness competencies and share how you developed or enhanced it (https://career.uconn.edu/becoming-career-ready/);
d. Include up to three (3) examples of what you gained from this experience (might include skills developed, knowledge acquired, new perspectives, etc.) and why these are important to you in your career development; (and/or the work of the department or company/organization);
e. Reflect upon ways this experience informs your future career pursuits.
Application deadline: Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
Contact email@example.com. If you are selected as a finalist you will be asked to request that your career development experience supervisor submits a one-page letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14, 2023, specifically addressing the significance of your contributions to the workplace, team, and/or project. Indicate that they should put “Career Development Experience Award and your name” in the subject line.