The Center for Career Development partners with departments to promote the success of UConn graduate students and postdoc scholars. We provide offerings to your department, as well as resources to support your career conversations with students and prompt referrals to the Center for Career Development.
The Center is invested in helping graduate students and postdoctoral scholars to:
- explore and navigate career diversity;
- gain career preparation and professional opportunities;
- acquire career acuity for an effective job search.
Services Provided to Departments
Consider requesting one or more of the following:
- Center for Career Development quick presentation at your department’s new student orientation.
- Informational presentation, about career resources and services, at a faculty meeting.
- Consultation on cultivating a culture of career diversity, expanding experiential learning opportunities, and/or developing departmentally-based career preparation programs.
- Employer presentation about an industry or career field topic (advance planning required and budget considerations a factor).
Contact Kay Kimball Gruder at email@example.com for more information.
We provide a range of individual services to your students and postdoc scholars
The Center’s Career Consultants are available to meet with graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Appointments are scheduled by calling 860-486-3013.
Some of the topics on which individuals can seek advice during one-on-one consultations are:
- Individualized CV, Résumé, and Cover Letter Critiques
- Teaching, Research, and Diversity Statement Reviews
- Internship and Job Search Planning Strategies
- Job Offer Negotiation Advice
- Career Counseling (including self-assessment and career exploration)
Other Center for Career Development services available to graduate students and postdoc scholars:
- Practice Interview Service (includes a recording of the session)
- LinkedIn Profile Consultation
- Professional Portrait Service
- Core and Tailored Presentations
For additional information consult Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholars.
Please consider one or more of the following action items to actively promote the services of the Center for Career Development to your graduate students and postdoc scholars:
- Add a link to Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholars to your department’s website.
- Contribute to the Center for Career Development’s comprehensive institutional report on graduate student employment by sharing the data that you informally or formally collect about your students’ post-UConn outcomes. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suggest that your department’s graduate student association or cohort of graduating students request a career preparation presentation. Contact email@example.com to learn about possible presentation topics and formats.
- Encourage your graduate students to utilize the resources offered by the Center for Career Development and to participate in career-related events and workshops.
The Center greatly appreciates input about improving our services for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Please share your recommendations and suggestions by emailing Kay Kimball Gruder, Assistant Director – Graduate Student Career Programs and Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.