Thank you for your interest in the resources and services that the Center for Career Development (CCD) provides to departments and fields of study. We partner with departments to promote the success of UConn graduate students and postdoc scholars. This page includes information about offerings that we can provide to your department, as well and resources that will support your career conversations with students and prompt referrals to the CCD.
The Center is invested in helping graduate students and postdoctoral scholars to:
- explore and navigate career diversity;
- gain career preparation and professional opportunities;
- acquire career acuity for effective job search.
Services Provided to Departments – Contact Kay Kimball Gruder at email@example.com for more information
Consider requesting one or more of the following:
- Center for Career Development quick presentation at your department’s new student orientation.
- Informational presentation, about career resources and services, at a faculty meeting.
- Consultation on cultivating culture of career diversity, expanding experiential learning opportunities, and/or developing departmentally-based career preparation programs.
- Employer presentation about an industry or career field topic (advance planning required and budget considerations a factor).
We provide a range of individual services to your students and postdoc scholars:
The Center’s Career Consultants are available to meet with graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Appointments are scheduled by calling 860-486-3013.
Some of the topics on which individuals can seek advice during one-on-one consultations are:
- Individualized CV, Résumé, and Cover Letter Critiques
- Teaching, Research, and Diversity Statement Reviews
- Internship and Job Search Planning Strategies
- Job Offer Negotiation Advice
- Career Counseling (including self-assessment and career exploration)
Other Center for Career Development services available to graduate students and postdoc scholars:
- Practice Interview Service (includes recording of session)
- LinkedIn Profile Consultation
- Professional Portrait Service
- Core and Tailored Presentations (Check out the calendar here)
For additional information consult the Center for Career Development’s Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholars home page.
Please consider one or more of the following action items to actively promote the services of the Center for Career Development to your graduate students and postdoc scholars:
- Add the Center for Career Development’s Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholars home page to your department’s web site, http://career.uconn.edu/graduate-students/.
- Contribute to the Center for Career Development’s comprehensive institutional report on graduate student employment by sharing the data that you informally or formally collect about your students’ post UConn outcomes. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suggest that your department’s graduate student association or cohort of graduating students request a career preparation presentation. Contact email@example.com to learn about possible presentation topics and formats.
- Encourage your graduate students to utilize the resources offered by the Center for Career Development and to participate in career related events and workshops. (Check out the calendar for events: http://career.uconn.edu/events/
The Center greatly appreciates input about improving our services for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Please share your recommendations and suggestions by emailing Kay Kimball Gruder, Assistant Director – Graduate Student Career Programs and Services, Kay.firstname.lastname@example.org.