Prepare for the Job Search
Know yourself, and understand the kind of work that will be most satisfying. Identify a career that matches your interests and values. A career consultant and the resources in the Center for Career Development can help you with these beginning steps.
Begin to utilize all your resources to locate job opportunities.
Review our Job Search Checklist.
Finding a Job or Internship
The Job Search
Whether you are seeking an internship or full-time employment, the best advice is to start early. When is early? It depends on the nature of the position you are pursuing. We advise meeting with a Career Counselor to discuss your personal job search timeline.
- The Center for Career Development will help you get organized. Start by meeting with a Career Consultant.
- Utilize HuskyCareerLink for online job postings.
- Visit www.interncoop.uconn.edu
- Attend Career Fairs
- Network. Who do you know, and who do they know? More people get jobs through networking than any other method.
- Sign up for Linkedin. This online networking tool can help you make connections, search for people by company, and manage your personal career portfolio.
- Check out the Husky Alumni Network.
- Look at job posting sites.
- Subscribe to a job listing publication in your field, like jobsindietetics.com or environmentaljobs.com, there are many that are very specific and focused, and could be a good source for you.
- Review the list of Fortune 500 companies that recruit with the Center for Career Development
International Job Searching
Resources for those:
- Seeking opportunities outside the United States
- Looking for an organization with international ties
- Hoping to use language skills in their career
- Log in to HuskyCareerLink and click on GoinGlobal
- Go to www.interncoop.uconn.edu and search the International Internships section in other search engines
- Center for Career Development information sheet on International Employment
- MIT European Career Fair
- International Career Employment Weekly
- International Internships Directory
- International School Services (Teaching Abroad)