Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States including but not limited to: Seattle/Bellevue, WA; Nashville, TN; Austin, TX; Greater Bay Area, CA; DC Metro Area; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greater Boston Area, MA; Greater Denver Area, CO; Greater Los Angeles Area, CA; Greater New York Area; Irvine, CA; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA.
Do you love building data pipelines? Are you excited by the opportunity to design tools and infrastructure needed to analyze large volumes of data? Do you want to help solve big data warehousing problems, and partner with stakeholders to understand how to best design and implement cutting edge data solutions that provide answers to key business questions? Do you want to be a part of a fast-paced environment and contribute to one of the most visited sites on the Internet?
If this describes you, consider joining us as an intern in the summer of 2022. Amazon is looking for a data engineer intern to join one our many lines of business. Amazon interns have the opportunity to work alongside the industry’s brightest engineers who innovate everyday on behalf of our customers. You will be matched to a manager and a mentor. You will have the opportunity to impact the evolution of Amazon technology as well as lead mission critical projects early in your career. Your work will contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the company. In addition to working on an impactful project, you will have the opportunity to engage with Amazonians for both personal and professional development, expand your network, and participate in fun activities with other interns throughout the summer. No matter the location of your internship, we give you the tools to own your summer and learn in a real world setting.
Come chart your own path at Amazon.
Amazon internships are full-time (40 hours/week) for 12 consecutive weeks with start dates in May – July 2022. Applicants should have at a minimum one quarter/semester remaining after their internship concludes.
As a data engineer intern, you will/may:
- Design, implement, and automate deployment of our distributed system for collecting and processing log events from multiple sources
- Design data schema and operate internal data warehouses and SQL/NoSQL database systems
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards that engineers, analysts, and data scientists use to drive key business decisions
- Monitor and troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines
- Drive architectural plans and implementation for future data storage, reporting, and analytic solutions
- Develop code based automated data pipelines able to process millions of data points
- Improve database and data warehouse performance by tuning inefficient queries
- Work collaboratively with Business Analysts, Data Scientists, and other internal partners to identify opportunities/problems
- Provide assistance to the team with troubleshooting, researching the root cause, and thoroughly resolving defects in the event of a problem
- Currently enrolled in or will receive a Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering,Information Management, Information Systems, or an equivalent technical discipline with a conferral date between September 2022 – August 2024
- Experience with data mining and data transformation
- Experience with database and/or data warehouse solutions
- Experience building data pipelines or automated ETL processes
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with one or more scripting language (e.g., Python, KornShell)
- Enrolled in a Master’s Degree or advanced technical degree
- Previous technical internship(s), if applicable
- Can articulate the basic differences between datatypes (e.g. JSON/NoSQL, relational)
- Familiar with the basic implications of different implementation decisions (e.g., distributed processing, parallel processing)
- Understand the basics of designing and implementing a data schema (e.g., normalization, relational model vs dimensional model)
- Experience building code based on data pipelines able to process big datasets
- Knowledge of writing and optimizing SQL queries with large-scale, complex datasets
- Experience with big data processing technology (e.g., Hadoop or ApacheSpark), data warehouse technical architecture, infrastructure components, and reporting/analytic tools and environments
- Experience with data visualization software (e.g., AWS QuickSight or Tableau)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The pay for this position in Colorado is $7,700/month. Full-time interns working longer than 90 days will be eligible for access to a medical benefit, and can enroll in a 401k on Day 1 if age 18. Interns will also have access to paid time off. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon’s internal or external careers site.