Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
Fall 2021 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Film/Video, Social Media Studies or Digital Communications
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Monday, September 13 – Friday, December 17
- Mission Concept: Communicate Our Mission
- COVID-19 Protocols: Our offices are temporarily closed pending return to in person work in October 2021.
About the Mission Concept
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
This Mission Concept is for students who are practiced and persuasive public speakers, have strong writing skills and are savvy about social media. You want to be part of communicating the Red Cross mission behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person, and online.
Because the American Red Cross Greater New York Region has multiple internship opportunities we’ve grouped them by “Mission Concepts,” which is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship. If this Mission Concept fits your educational and career goals, view the internship opportunity below.
You’ll serve an integral role conveying the work of the Red Cross to the organization’s constituents by assisting in social media management, tracking, and community engagement with multiple Red Cross social media accounts.
- Creating, monitoring, and curating interesting and effective content for social media platforms
- Producing digital content to promote and raise awareness of Red Cross values, content, and activities on social media
- Strong writing skills, with experience writing, formatting, and posting clear content
- Strong Photography/Videography skills
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Photoshop, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Pro strongly preferred
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused Undergraduate or Graduate student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- Detail Oriented
- Strong Communicator
- Team Builder/Player
- Strategic Thinker
- No-task-is too-small attitude
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to Microsoft Teams as a way to work collaboratively while working remotely
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
- Monday to Friday
Safety First! Our need for interns is constant and our guidelines reflect the latest CDC and local-government COVID-19 safety recommendations. While we do not require interns to be vaccinated against COVID-19, we will ask you to report if you are.