Title: Events Associate
Supervisor: Vice President & Chief of Staff
Status: Full-Time; Non-Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: $45,000 - $55,000 per year
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, is seeking an Events Associate to provide administrative and logistical support in the planning of meeting and events. Successful candidates will have event planning experience, possess extraordinary interpersonal skills, have a keen attention to detail, and thrive in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 239 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $44.9 billion in university-based research.
The Events Associate will provide administrative and logistical support in the life-cycle planning of meetings and events which includes, but is not limited to:
- Collaborate with APLU staff and provide support in all aspects of meeting preparation, planning and implementation, including on-site meeting support as needed (which may require travel, primarily within the United States).
- Manage event registration, including creating registration websites, scheduling and creating invitations, and pre and post event reporting using Cvent.
- Manage the APLU event and sponsorship email account, providing timely and accurate responses to internal and external constituents regarding APLU meetings and events.Coordinate the planning of sponsors and exhibitors for the APLU Annual Meeting
- Work with the Office of Public Affairs to develop marketing/promotional materials for events
- Maintain APLU’s calendar of events.Support other activities and initiatives of the President’s Office and APLU as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and 2-3 years’ experience working in an office environment, with at least two years of experience managing events and working in a professional office environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills which must be effective and courteous, requiring high integrity when dealing with a broad array of confidential issues.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines at once.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment related to providing support and assistance.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are required.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in building project management systems, filing systems, and general office procedures preferred.
- Highly skilled in the use of Office365 (including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience with CVENT a plus.
- Willingness to learn new technology as needed.Comfort tracking data required; experience with Dynamics, Salesforce, Marketo, or similar customer relationship management system preferred.
- Experience with non-profits or in the hospitality industry a plus.
- Ability to travel several times per year to meetings (primarily within the United States), including over weekends and over the Veteran’s Day holiday.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Events Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as received and continue until the position is filled. APLU provides a generous benefits package. APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.