This position functions under general guidance/supervision of AR management or designee to perform functions in support of AR operations in accordance with federal, state and local regulations, guidelines and policies on the use of laboratory animals. This position may include rotational assignment to various animal and/or support areas. In addition, this position functions as a member of a work team, actively promotes a team-oriented work environment, and may be expected to assist in the training of others and quality review of records.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Functions with primary responsibility for animal care and enrichment of routine and specialized animal colonies, and cleaning and maintenance of associated facilities and equipment including cage sanitization and preparation for use; includes animal handling, animal observations, reporting of abnormal findings, adherence to veterinary directives and monitoring of room conditions.
- Maintains functional knowledge and ability to operate and maintain animal facility equipment including but not limited to cage/rack washers, environmental monitoring equipment etc.
- May be assigned to specialized tasks or roles as a primary responsibility under the direction of a more senior technician or AR management.
- Ensures timely and accurate documentation of task completion; may assist in quality review of records.
- May assist in training of team members in AR operations and procedures.
- May identify and assist in the evaluation of new technologies, equipment and methodologies aimed at animal program improvement or advancement.
- Functions as a team member; displays the behaviors and attributes required to complete inter-dependent and cross-functional tasks within a highly dynamic work environment where success depends on effective communication, coordination, cooperation and personal accountability.
- Complies with applicable company policies and guidances, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Federal, State and local regulations (e.g., USDA, FDA GLPs) and performs work in a safe manner.
- High School Diploma or equivalent plus 4 years experience in an animal research facility or veterinary practice required.
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in animal science or equivalent plus two (2) year relevant experience preferred.
- AALAS certification at ALAT level is required.
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook required; skills in Topaz Granite/Elements are desirable.
- Strict attention to detail and follow-up skills are essential.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to perform in a team environment.
- No known allergies to animals.
- This position requires a high degree of physical work effort including but not limited to: bending, lifting (up to 50 lbs), squatting, pushing/pulling, reaching and long periods of standing, in addition to handling and restraint of small and large laboratory animals.
- Required use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including uniforms, respiratory, eye, hearing, hand and foot protection.
- Required to work on scheduled weekends and holidays.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- This position will require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Click here for more information on the vaccine mandate and COVID-19.