The City of Des Moines’ Parks and Recreation Department is looking for Parks and Recreation Associates to help with Volleyball and Basketball season! Specific work may include setup and tear-down associated with league games and practices. Such duties may include adjusting hoops, setting up bleachers, answering patron questions, as well as gameday assistance.
PLEASE NOTE: Location of work assignment, scheduled work hours, and duration of employment will vary by duties, season, and availability.
Under general supervision, assists patrons, assists staff with the facilitation of scheduled programs and events including set-ups, tear downs, monitoring patron activity and general maintenance duties; and performs related work as required.
Salary Range: $9.00 – $10.71, or minimum wage, if more.
Accepting applications until the application deadline or until all vacancies are filled, whichever occurs first.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the work performed by these positions are currently limited or not being performed. The positions are posted now in preparation for post COVID-19 operations.
Acceptable Experience and Training: Must be at least 18 years of age. Previous experience working with the general public is preferred.
Required Special Qualifications: Possession of an applicable valid driver’s license is required where assigned duties require driving responsibilities.
The City of Des Moines’ Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within thirteen (13) months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and if applicable, driving record background checks. Passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to hire.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only): Winter season work may include setup and tear-down associated with volleyball and basketball league games and practices as well as other assigned duties. Specific duties may include adjusting hoops, setting up bleachers, answering patron questions, as well as gameday assistance.
- Collects various fees from patrons and makes change;
- Provides assistance to patrons;
- Directs parking and pedestrian traffic;
- May need to place signage providing directional information;
- Assists in monitoring events, scheduled programming and overseeing patron activity; and alerts supervisor of any problems that arise;
- Picks-up loose trash and/or debris and disposes in waste receptacles;
- Prepares and maintains various park and recreational facilities and venues hosting scheduled programming, events and patron participation. Event related preparedness may include but not limited to opening and closing facilities; set-ups; tear downs; shoveling and blowing snow; supplying restrooms; decorating; pulling weeds and mopping and/or sweeping floors;
- Assists with concessions including operating cash register and serving food as needed;
- May need to guard vendor property as needed in preparation of a scheduled event or program;
- May oversee the activities of a group of participants within a scheduled program to ensure completeness of assigned tasks.
Applicants deemed most qualified based on qualifications may be contacted for an interview. Qualified applicants who need a reasonable accommodation must inform this office at (515) 283-4213 or TTY at Iowa Relay at 711 or 1-800-735-2942 at the time of application.