The Patient Care Technician (PCT) is part of the team providing direct care to patients with End Stage Renal Disease. The PCT supports clinical staff, start to finish, throughout the dialysis treatment process, and delivers prescribed dialysis treatment according to physician orders and nursing assessment.
This position is full-time, 4 days/week.
- Obtains and records patient vital signs and machine readings according to facility policies.
- Sets up and breaks down the dialysis blood system for the treatment process.
- Inserts and removes access needles in patients for dialysis treatment.
- Monitors and assesses patients during the course of treatment, documents changes in the patient condition, and informs charge nurse of problems during treatment.
- Calculates patient’s weight loss to reach dry weight.
- Maintains and tracks inventory.
- Performs laboratory work.
- Determines patient care priorities and organizes work load efficiently and effectively.
- Maintains professional working relationship, observing patient privacy and rights.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Dialysis experience preferred.
- Previous healthcare experience preferred.
- CNA, EMT, Medical Assistant, CNT, candidates with Phlebotomy skills are desired.
The PCT must be certified as a hemodialysis technician by a nationally accepted certification exam within 18 months of date of hire.