Garnet Health Medical Center clinical nurses are guided by the New York State Nurse Practice Act, the American Nurses Association (ANA) guide to the Code of Ethics for Nurses, the Essential Guide to Nursing Practice, Jean Watson’s Nursing Philosophy and Science of Caring, the Garnet Health Medical Center Plan for Nursing Quality and Safety, and the Garnet Health Medical Center Nursing Strategic Plan (NSP). Clinical nurses are empowered to work toward an improved healthcare system by providing safe, timely, effective, equitable, and patient centered care (IOM).
Garnet Health Medical Center clinical nurses embrace the Essential Features of Professional Nursing as indicated by the ANA, they include:
- Provision of a caring relationship that facilitates health and healing.
- Attention to the range of human experiences and responses to health and illness within the physical and social environments.
- Integration of assessment data with knowledge gained from an appreciation of the patient of the group.
- Application of scientific knowledge to the processes of diagnosis and treatment through the use of judgment and critical thinking.
- Advancement of professional nursing knowledge through scholarly inquiry.
- Influence on social and public policy.
- Assurance of safe, quality, and evidence-based practice.