With oversight from the Immigration Technical Unit (Immigration Associate Director, Immigration Director, Immigration Program Manager, and Immigration Technical Advisor), the Immigration Intern will be a member of the Technical Unit team and support the USP Immigration network by conducting research related to new immigration policies, analyzing internal data, supporting resource development, assisting in developing training materials, contributing to and facilitating knowledge sharing among staff, and assisting with individual technical assistance requests.
2-3 days per week during the Fall Semester 2019
- Research and prepare materials for dissemination throughout the network on immigration law and policy issues that impact IRC immigration clients.
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of IRC’s training materials and training events for the network on immigration issues or other refugee and immigration issues to build capacity, promote program innovation, and support high-quality services.
- Analyze data on IRC’s services and immigration practice, utilizing data management skills to prepare reports and analysis.Contribute to collaboration and knowledge sharing across IRC field offices.
- Assist with the development of community outreach strategies and funding opportunities. Other duties as assigned.
- The intern will gain professional experience providing technical assistance and programmatic support to a network of immigration legal programs in the US.
- The intern will deepen understanding of immigration law and policy, particularly as it pertains to refugees and asylees in the US, and nonprofit program management.
- The intern will gain practical experience working in a fast-paced environment for a large NGO in a challenging policy environment for refugees and immigrants.
- Undergraduate or graduate/JD student with an interest in immigration, law, social work, international relations or other related area.Strong interest and experience working in immigration and refugee issues.
- Very strong written communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a concise, accessible way.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage time effectively.
- Very strong data management and analysis skills.
- Experience with website maintenance, social media, or newsletter development is a plus (not required).
- This is an unpaid internship position.
- Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample with the subject line Immigration Intern to Amber.Mull@Rescue.org.