Summary: This position will help Markit! execute various forestry projects on private, state, and federal lands according to the projects’ prescriptions. In addition, this position will be responsible for assisting in the proper maintenance, preparation and operation of all tools and equipment including hand tools, chainsaws, chippers, and heavy machinery. This position will report to and work closely with to the Project Foreman and/or Superintendent.
Location: Projects may be located throughout the State of California and surrounding states, including Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.
Travel: Usually 50-75% but may be up to 100% depending on the project assignment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Operate Markit!’s heavy forestry equipment (e.g. Skidder, Fellar Buncher, Log Loader, Harvester, Delimber, Masticator, Tracked Skidder, Dozer, Excavator, Chipper) as appropriate for each project.
- Adhere to Markit!’s Safety Standards and promote safety culture among crew members, including the proper use of machinery and equipment and resolve problems when they arise.
- Perform chainsaw felling operations, including directional felling, limbing, and bucking.
- Manage slash operations, including lop-and-scatter, chipping, and hauling.
- Perform road work, excavation, lifting work, site clean-up, etc.
- Control erosion by contour felling and LEB creation and installation.
- Responsible for completing and submitting proper daily inspections and maintenance on assigned machine(s), requesting any necessary repairs/maintenance from the Fleet Department.
- Maintain the highest maintenance and safety standards.
- Participate in weekly job site maintenance training conducted by Foreman.
- Perform minor equipment repairs/maintenance, as necessary.
- Prepare to spend multiple overnights at remote project sites in company RV trailer/campers or hotels, as applicable.
- General forestry labor, as necessary and appropriate.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must pass pre-employment background check.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Ability to communicate clearly and create effective working relationships with employees, private landowners, state & government officials and contracting officer representatives, and the general public.
- Have the ability and desire to perform strenuous outdoor work on rough terrain in a variety of inclement weather conditions (e.g. rain, heat, cold) for 8 to 12 hours per day.
- Quick and able learner with strong leadership skills and a keen eye for details and good decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and stress and handle emergency situations.
- Effectively complete work projects on time.
- Ability to utilize safety procedures.
- Physical ability to bend, squat and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Technical skills and ability to use a smart phone and/or table