Our internship program reflects our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research. Internships are available fall, spring and summer in most departments, allowing students of all ages to experience the unique character of the Aquarium and enhance their personal and professional development.
Each semester is approximately 16 weeks long. The spring semester runs from January to May, summer from May to August and fall from September to December. Exact start and end dates may be flexible as determined by the departmental needs and interns’ schedule.
Applications are accepted year-round, however there are specific application deadlines for each semester as follows:
Spring September 30
Summer January 31
Fall May 31
Late applications will not be accepted.
The Foxwoods Marine Theater staff feed, train and care for the Aquarium’s California sea lions. The staff also performs during daily presentations educating the public about the species.
Interns must have a flexible schedule and be able to work five days per week.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Expected to pass swim test including:
- 200 meter continuous swim in less than six minutes
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Swim pool length underwater (50 foot minimum)
- Tired swimmer tow pool length (50 foot minimum)
- Surface dive for 10 pound weight retrieval to pool depth
- Assist staff with preparing diets for California sea lions
- Clean and maintain exhibits and back-up areas
- Assist with environmental enrichment for California sea lions
- Record keeping
- Assist with public presentations
- Assist with the training of husbandry/show behaviors
- Assist husbandry staff and veterinary staff with medical procedures