Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Interns will be working with our colony of African penguins to assist with day-to-day operations. Interns may also be asked to participate in training, media opportunities and in encounter programs.
Penguin interns must have a flexible schedule and work five days a week 7:30am to 4:00pm.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Expected to pass swim test including:
- 100 yard swim in less than five minutes
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Deploy life safety/flotation device
- Assist staff with preparing diets
- Clean and maintain exhibits and back-up areas
- Record keeping
- Feed penguins
- Assist husbandry staff and veterinarians with medical procedures
- Assist with the training of husbandry behaviors