Interns will be working with our colony of African penguins to assist with day-to-day operations. Interns may also be asked to participate in training, media opportunities and in encounter programs.
Penguin interns must have a flexible schedule and work five days a week 7:30am to 4:00pm.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Expected to pass swim test including:
- 100 yard swim in less than five minutes
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Deploy life safety/flotation device
- Assist staff with preparing diets
- Clean and maintain exhibits and back-up areas
- Record keeping
- Feed penguins
- Assist husbandry staff and veterinarians with medical procedures
- Assist with the training of husbandry behaviors