Our internship program reflects our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research. Internships are available fall, spring and summer in most departments, allowing students of all ages to experience the unique character of the Aquarium and enhance their personal and professional development.
Each semester is approximately 16 weeks long. The spring semester runs from January to May, summer from May to August and fall from September to December. Exact start and end dates may be flexible as determined by the departmental needs and interns’ schedule.
Interns will be working with our colony of African penguins to assist with day-to-day operations. Interns may also be asked to participate in training, media opportunities and in encounter programs.
Penguin interns must have a flexible schedule and work five days a week 7:30am to 4:00pm.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Expected to pass swim test including:
- 100 yard swim in less than five minutes
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Deploy life safety/flotation device
- Assist staff with preparing diets
- Clean and maintain exhibits and back-up areas
- Record keeping
- Feed penguins
- Assist husbandry staff and veterinarians with medical procedures
- Assist with the training of husbandry behaviors
Internship Application Deadlines:
Spring Semester (January-May) – September 30
Summer Semester (June-August) – January 31
Fall Semester (September-December) – May 31