DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Community Liaison will work with the city agencies and social service organizations to help resolve issues that constituents bring to the office either in-person, by phone, or email.
- S/he will attend local community meetings, including Community Board meetings, tenant meetings, and intergovernmental meetings on the Council Member’s behalf.
- S/he may represent the Council Member at public and interagency meetings and events.
- S/he will also act as a liaison for all Korean community-related matters, including constituent services and press. The Community Liaison will work out of the District Office in downtown Flushing, and report directly to the Chief of Staff.
- Speak with constituents in person, over the phone and via e-mail to get an understanding of their issues and connect constituents with government resources and social services organizations.
- Attend Community Board, tenant, and other community meetings on the Council Member’s behalf.
- Report regularly to the Chief of Staff on ongoing cases and update the Council Member on urgent issues that may need the Council Member’s direct intervention.
- Maintain relationships with local community leaders and report on ongoing community issues to the Council Member
- Handle press inquiries from Korean media alongside the Director of Communications.
- Assist with events hosted by the Council Member.
- Occasionally translate proceedings at community meetings for constituents when translation is not provided.
- Along with other District Office staff, supervise interns on various projects.
- One to three years working for an elected official, experience in the social work field or non-profit sector.
- Degree in Public Policy, Government & Law, History, Social Sciences or Social Work preferred.
- Knowledge of city agencies, social service organizations and familiarity with local neighborhoods/issues helpful.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and independently. Bilingual in Korean highly desired.
- Availability to work nights and weekends.
- New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter, resume and writing sample to:
MAIL: 135-27 38th Avenue, Suite 388
Flushing, NY 11354
FAX: (718) 888-0331
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER