PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Individual Consultant will assist an individual to be self directed in accessing all needed/requested services. This will include integration of resources directed toward meeting the multiple needs of individuals and assuring that they receive and keep the services and/or supports to enable them to meet their goals. They shall also work to ensure the rights of individuals in accordance with federal, state and local statutes and regulations, and to remove barriers to improving the individual’s quality of life.
NATURE OF WORK:
1. Individual Plan Development: Assures assessments to develop Individualized Service Plans are completed. Authorizes and oversees the development of the Individual Service Plan within the individual’s confirmed budget. Works with the individual (and other persons designated by the individual to participate in plan development) to develop a single plan that, regardless of funding source, shall be implemented and/or revised in accordance with rules adopted by the DODD and the expressed desires of the individual.
2. Coordination and Monitoring: Assures that services are effectively coordinated for the individual and delivered by providers as outlined in the Individual Service Plan Conducts reviews of services delivered and incident reports to assure effectiveness and continuity of service delivery. Acts as the single point of accountability to assure the individuals’ health and safety while they experience risk and consequences.
3. System Coordination: Negotiates complex system/support issues between programs, contract agencies, community resources and selected providers Assists in resolving conflicts between individuals, advocates, providers and families.
4. Records/Reporting: Maintain individual records and reports in a timely and accurate manner including but not limited to service delivery documentation, progress notations, periodic reviews, behavior support plans, emergency medical authorizations, MUI plans of preventions etc.
5. Individual Budget Development: Identifies resources available to the individual and matches them with the individual’s assessed need and expressed desires. Works with individual to develop a budget that matches available resources to needs/desires,
6. Provider Selection: Assists the individual to make an informed choice of providers to deliver the requested/desired services within the individual’s confirmed budget
7. Advocacy Selection: Assists the individual to select a person who will represent/advocate the individual’s interests.
8. Other Related Duties: Performs related work as required. SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Individual Consultant Team Leader SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None PERSONAL CONTACTS: Daily contact with individuals and other Individual Consultants; frequent-daily contact with family members, advocates, guardians, providers, other interdisciplinary team members, other community-based agencies, and employers, as needed.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Must be available to work outside normal program hours and on an “on-call” basis. May be required to work a varied and flexible work schedule to meet the needs of assigned individuals. May not be able to schedule time off during peak periods. May be required to have ready access to transportation and be able to travel to various community-based sites or programs. Exposure to a variety of environments with multiple health and safety risks dealing with varied economic, domestic and mental health situations.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: self-determination principles; developmental disabilities; psychological, behavioral and medical disorders; interpersonal communication; individual rights; internal and external services available; counseling; individualized service plan content and development; interviewing & investigation techniques; therapeutic restraint procedures; proper referral procedures; federal/state/local regulatory standards.
Ability to: define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; develop and maintain positive effective working relationships with individuals, families, advocates, guardians, associates, other social service agencies, legal system, law enforcement, banking & business professionals, medical professionals, etc. and the general public; communicate effectively in both oral and written manner; accurately assess and evaluate individuals needs and develop plan to meet those needs; prepare and maintain accurate documentation; handle sensitive inquiries; plan and organize work; transport self to various community locations. Deal with coordination of financial issues; i.e., budgeting, taxes, banking, monitoring of benefits etc.
Skills in: managing multiple priorities; effective time management practices; oral and written communication; defining and solving complex problems; managing change, conflict and crisis intervention. Use of keyboard for computer input of client data and generation of reports.
1. Commitment to Board/Department mission statement, Person Centered Excellence
2.Ability to maintain confidential information
3. Ability to positively contribute in team situations and as team leader
4.Commitment to working as personal agent for individuals assigned
5.Personality traits which would create a positive/cooperative environment among providers and others involved in the individual’s life.
6. Ability to negotiate complex issues and resolve conflicts between individuals, advocates, providers, and families.
Requires completion of Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline. Meets or is eligible for necessary certification requirements. One year experience in direct programming for DD or equivalent preferred.
(A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of “one year” experience
preference listed above.)
DODD certification – Service and Support Administrator required, but not necessary prior to employment. May be required to obtain course work at own expense for initial certification as well as renewals.
Must be able to transport self and/or arrange for transportation for individuals. Must be able to maintain auto insurance as required by Board policy.