*** You MUST be a US Citizen with eligibility for a DoD Clearance to apply for this position ***
ThayerMahan’s AI Systems Group (AISyG) is looking for a Machine Learning Intern to join our tight knit and growing team. As the AI arm of ThayerMahan, AISyG’s focus lies primarily within developing artificial intelligence-based solutions and products to support both internal and external stakeholders, with the goal of leveraging ThayerMahan’s proprietary surveillance technologies to transition from sensing to sense-making. As a Machine Learning Intern, you will work on some of the most ambitious technical challenges around applying state of the art AI techniques to better understand the world’s oceans. You will be a part of a tight-knit team working in a faced paced startup environment, where you will have a unique opportunity to grow and optimally position yourself for a career in AI.
This position can be either remote, or in-person based on preference and proximity. Interns are expected to work 40 hours per week.
- Work with and learn from a top-tier team of engineers and scientists in the maritime space
- Own a project from initial research to design and implementation
- Experiment and test hypotheses around data and model configurations (i.e., hyperparameter tuning, data augmentations, etc.)
- Report and present findings to key internal stakeholders
- Take part in the development and maintenance of existing software products, from feature concept to delivery
- US Citizen
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in a science, statistics, mathematics, or related technical field (i.e., Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Artificial Intelligence)
- Coursework in statistics and machine learning
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals (i.e., data structures, algorithms, object-oriented programming, space-time complexity)
- Proficiency with Python
- General understanding of Artificial Intelligence
- Care about the real-world impact of your research and code
- Can work both independently, and as part of a team towards solving complex problems
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of software/product
- Are interested in learning about the maritime space, but prior knowledge is not required!
- Prior experience with software engineering (via previous work history, internships, personal projects, or coursework)
- Experience with cloud technologies (AWS)
- Experience with computer vision
- Experience with signal processing/acoustic AI
- Experience in ML research (working in a lab, or publication history)