The full time Reptile Aquarist is responsible for the living specimens and life support systems required for their maintenance.
· Prefer four-year degree (B.S.) in marine biology, biology, zoology or related field OR
· A two-year degree (A.S./A.A.S.) in a relevant field plus a minimum of one year experience in animal care (may be any combination of paid work, internships, or volunteer service) may be substituted for formal education.
· Basic knowledge of the operation and maintenance of aquarium and life support systems, including experience with water quality testing.
· General knowledge of laboratory equipment and operating procedures.
· Strong command of the English language, both written and verbal.
· Able to lift a minimum of 60 pounds
· Able to negotiate stairs, climb high obstacles and maneuver easily in tanks, exhibits, and behind the scenes areas.
· Able to negotiate various field conditions.
· Able to work standing up for extended periods of time.
· Valid driver’s license required.
· SCUBA certification and collection experience preferred.
· Able to work weekends and holidays.
Essential Job Functions:
· Maintains all aquarium and related life support systems as well as terrestrial habitats.
· Identifies diseases and administers treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian
· Performs water quality analysis.
· Participates in the collection of animals from Long Island Sound and other locations for display in Aquarium tanks.
· Training and conditioning animals, diet prep
· Public presentations with ambassador collection
· Documents and communicates observations.
· Maintains a variety of collecting equipment.
· This position will require the individual to work weekends and holidays, and to travel for extended periods of time to perform collecting duties.
· Other duties as assigned
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Maritime Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Please provide a Maritime Aquarium application (maritimeaquarium.org and click on join our team), cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Reptile Aquarist in the subject line of your e-mail.