Innovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for participants of our Technology Leadership Development Program (TLDP). This two to three-year rotational program is designed to grow and develop your technology and self-leadership skills. Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a robust technology curriculum, and a formal mentoring program to prepare you for a dynamic career. You will have the opportunity to explore multiple technologies while learning from different leaders within Travelers.
As a Technology LDP participant, you will model the way for others and set a personal example of what is expected. You will be expected to positively challenge processes and identify new and innovative ways to get work done more effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others. If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we encourage you to join us at Travelers.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The program is multi-faceted and offers a technology and business development curriculum focused on disruptive- technologies, insurance, strategy, leading self and influencing others. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking and career guidance.
TLDP participant duties will vary based on the specific rotation, but will be within one or more of the areas outlined below:
Solution Delivery –
Contribute to the overall software design strategy by developing software and implementing and testing automation that enables our products, distribution workflows, and customer, agent and employee experiences.
Serve as a liaison between the business and technology to translate business needs to technical deliverables and participate on and/or lead teams in delivering processes, functionality or products.
Assist in the planning process by clarifying business needs, providing design recommendations, estimating work, conducting demos and engaging with other teams.
Other duties include but are not limited to: managing and troubleshooting defects, answering technical questions, conducting maintenance and assisting with triage to post release work items.
Design, build and implement foundational technologies that enable the development of business solutions.
Work in parallel with Engineers, Product Owners and Scrum Masters to deliver key functionality (e.g., cloud engineering, software pipelines, etc.)
Provide operational support (e.g., conduct perimeter traffic monitoring, application security scanning), troubleshooting and maintenance of Security related processes, controls and/or products.
Independently, and as part of a team, analyze and resolve security related issues (e.g., improper attempts to access or infiltrate our networks).
User Experience –
Partner with teams to ensure a user-centered design approach is leveraged when developing solutions. Adhere to and promote User Experience best practices.
Research, design and test digital experiences.
Create artifacts that include personas, journey maps, user workflows, information architecture, wireframes, and interactive prototypes.
In partnership with team members, provide architectural guidance, technology recommendations and strategies to support target state architecture as we develop solutions (e.g. frameworks, utilities, models).
Obtained or pursuing a technology or business-related undergraduate degree with technology minor; or a graduate degree with a technology minor; or the successful completion of an accredited or state-licensed accelerated technical learning program in technology teaching foundational software development skills.
3 years or less of technology related experience (may include one or more internship experiences in the Technology field).
Legally authorized to work in the United States.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree with a preferred major/minor in:
- Computer Science
- Management Information Systems
- Data Science
- Design and Human Factors
- Cumulative GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher preferred.
- Exposure to Object-oriented programming (OOP) in one major language.
- Professional experience in technology of three years or less preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical curiosity: Self-starter and motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments beyond required job and/or educational commitments.
- Learning agility: Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new capabilities.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical capability: Entry-level programming and system analysis.
- Ability to evaluate new tasks and provide status updates.
- Time Management: ability to manage time and competing priorities.
- Leadership: ability to lead self and influence others.
- Change management/resilience: Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Emotional intelligence: demonstrates self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: communicates effectively, is engaging and maintains a positive attitude.
- Judgement/decision making: exercises sound judgement, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging differences: works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship management: seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Team work: works together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work ethic: has a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done, is inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
Environmental / Travel / Work Schedules / Other
Participants may have the opportunity for a rotation in another office location. This rotation may require relocation.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting