The U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (DEVCOM) Soldier Center (SC) has an immediate opening for a Clothing Designer (Patterns) to join our team in Natick, MA. This is a Term appointment not to exceed 2 years and may be renewed.
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD Workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service. The DEVCOM Soldier Center, as part of a Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratory (STRL), participates in an alternative personnel system known as the Laboratory Demonstration Personnel System, or Lab Demo. In this personnel system, the DB-02 pay band is equivalent to a GS-05 step 1, through GS-11 step 10 grade level. Salary will be determined upon selection.
The Soldier Center’s Design, Pattern and Prototype Team has a vacancy for a Clothing Designer in the unique area of military design. You will have responsibility for the planning and conducting of complete projects involving the design and development of complex, multi-garment clothing systems such as combat and field clothing, dress uniforms, ballistic and chemical protective items, extreme weather clothing, related equipage and gear as well as experimental designs. Seeking a creative incumbent with keen ability to problem solve. The ideal candidate should possess good hands-on ability in garment construction (using a broad range of sewing equipment), ability to draft first patterns, knowledge of fit and material suitability to the design of a garment or equipment item, ability to translate designs by hand sketching and/or use of Adobe Illustrator. Attention to detail, initiative, teamwork, and a creative imagination are desired skills and the key to success at the DEVCOM Soldier Center.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in phases of work related to the designing, patterning, and prototyping of protective, combat, and other military apparel systems and items
- Design new and/or improved military apparel items
- Apply design methods in developing and modifying flat patterns for clothing items using hand methods as well as CAD inclusive of sizing and grading
- Participate in technical data development
- Perform tailoring work involving the measuring, cutting, sewing, fitting, altering, and finishing of complete sample garments
- Conduct first article inspections, observe production tests, participate in design reviews, examine, and accept R&D clothing items manufactured for testing, conduct fit tests, resolve production problems, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
BENEFITS: 11 Paid Federal Holidays, Paid Vacation (13 days per year), Paid Sick Leave (13 days per year), Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Basic Retirement Annuity, Thrift Savings Plan (similar to 401k), Flexible Spending Account available, Flexible and Alternative work schedules available, Telework eligibility, Army Fitness Program eligibility, Federal employee discounts, wealth of training opportunities available, possible tuition assistance through the Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP), Employee Assistance Program.
Salary Range: $40,436 – $96,363 for a Clothing Designer DB-0062-02 (equivalent to the GS-05 – GS-11).
For consideration, please apply using the link to Yello, the Army’s recruitment platform. You will need to complete a one-page profile form and upload your resume and transcript to the following link: https://devcom.recsolu.com/external/requisitions/ANfUsTeeYWTQLPKGB8MC5w