Lead Scientist and Program Manager (QCRG at UCSF)
The Quantitative Biosciences Institute (QBI) at the University of California, San Francisco, is looking for a Lead Scientist and Program Manager to facilitate the coordination of large collaborative scientific initiative of the QBI Coronavirus Research Group (QCRG). Since its inception in 2019 as a collaborative research response to SARS-CoV-2, the QCRG has expanded its focus to diseases with widespread global impact or pandemic potential. You will mainly coordinate the AViDD center within QCRG, which was awarded to QBI in May of 2022 (https://qcrg.ucsf.edu/qcrg-avidd-overview). The AViDD center grant is a large coordinated effort of 43 labs across UCSF, the United States, Canada and Europe. Working with QBI Director Nevan Krogan, project PIs, and the QBI scientific leadership, you will design, oversee and coordinate antiviral development projects that are the collaborative effort of scientists across academic institutions, global collaborators, and industry partners.
Specifically, this position will:
• Provide scientific oversight including review and advice on study design, modeling, data analysis and validation, and suggesting new approaches.
• Launch new projects and provide strategic planning to our infectious diseases grant portfolio.
• Track progress toward project goals, facilitate coordination among participating partners, evaluate project data and results, and report project status to leadership
• Identify new funding opportunities, coordinate submission of new project proposals and preparation of manuscripts.
• Interface with stakeholders in academia and industry
The QCRG is a highly dynamic and collaborative institute, applying disease agnostic technology such as proteomics and functional genomics, as well as biochemistry, computational biology, bioinformatics, and drug development to unravel the molecular networks underpinning host-pathogen interactions and developing targeted therapeutics. You will collaborate and interface with a highly productive and exceptionally collaborative group of scientists focused on detailed characterization of the biology and infection mechanisms of RNA viruses and other diseases with pandemic potential. Overall, you will contribute to further our understanding of the molecular mechanisms driving pathogenic diseases and discovering new avenues for therapeutics.
The ideal candidate should be independent, a creative problem solver, and original thinker. Excellent project management skills and a strong research record are essential, including evidence of publishing in high impact peer-reviewed journals and experience in writing and submitting proposals for federally sponsored research. Applicants will have strong written, verbal, and presentation skills and an ability to communicate and work in an interdisciplinary team environment. This position is for the job classification of Professional Researcher. It is not a faculty research position. Candidate’s CV must list all Required Qualifications upon submission.
• PhD and post-graduate training
• Scientific background in infectious diseases, medicinal chemistry or drug discovery/development
• Demonstrated high productivity and successful record publishing in high impact journals
• Demonstrated experience as a research project lead
• Experience managing collaborative projects among multiple laboratories
• Experience writing research proposals and peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication
• Experience managing direct research budgets
• Experience with the biotech/pharma industry landscape
• A demonstrated track record of effectively using quantitative approaches to biological problems
• Understanding of design and execution of viral assays, drug screening, and molecular biology and cell-based assays.
• Experience in handling large scale data
• Success in securing external research funding
• Experience teaching, mentoring, and advising students and trainees
• Community outreach, service to your profession, service to your institution
Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission. Applicants must meet all requirements by time of hire.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04047, with a CV, cover letter, and the contact information for 2 references.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.