Social work is an amazing field to go into: the work you do can be difficult but definitely rewarding. If you’re pursuing human development & family studies, psychological sciences or sociology, a master’s in social work may be the next step for you!
The top skills a social worker has are interpersonal communication, problem-solving, patience and multi-tasking; does this sound like you?
Are you interested in working with children? Families? Couples? Or specific groups of people?
The avenues of social work are endless; here is a list of some of the top sectors of social work where you may find that perfect career:
- Children and Families, Marriage and Family Therapy
- Advocate for children’s rights and help couples and families work through hard times
- School Social Work and Counseling
- Guide students and families in need through a local school system and assist through behavioral, emotional and educational challenges
- Help ease the transition to older adulthood for elders in need and get involved with this demographic’s daily life and functioning
- Clinical Therapeutic Services
- Provide counseling and therapy to resolve psycho-social and emotional problems, perhaps starting your own private practice
- Healthcare Social Work
- Be a friendly face and advocate for individuals and families facing hardships in their health
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Care
- Assist individuals on their journey to a substance-free, productive and healthy lifestyle
- Social Welfare Policy, Public Sector and Defense
- Advocate for multiple demographics through law and advocacy work
- Management Consulting, Business, Recruitment and Human Resources
- Be the voice of the people in the corporate world and help your colleagues succeed in and out of their careers
Yes! There is all that and more that you can get involved within the field of social work.
If you are currently an undergraduate student there are so many resources you can take advantage of:
Coming soon is the Social Work Career Day & Meet and Greet where representatives from the UConn School of Social Work will speak to UConn’s fantastic master’s program as well as the various jobs you can hold with a degree in social work.
Hartford Campus: Thursday, October 5th, 2017, 12:30 PM – 01:30 PM, Downtown Hartford, Hartford Times Building 216
Storrs Campus: Tuesday, October 10th, 2017, 12:00 PM – 02:00 PM, Storrs Campus, Student Union 303
If you’re interested in learning more about the UConn School of Social Work check out their website!
In many social work positions a Master’s degree is required: check out why pursuing graduate school for social work may be the right choice for your dream career!
In addition, many states require a social work license in order to practice.
Maybe graduate school isn’t for you and that’s okay! Positions are available for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in social work, or related subjects, such as:
- Behavioral Management Aide
- Case Management Aide
- Community Outreach Worker
- Juvenile court Liaison
- Probation officer
- Rehabilitation Case Worker
- Eligibility Worker
- Human Services Specialist
There is no rush to find that perfect career, just know that there is one out there for you when the time is ready. In the meantime, explore your passions and the ages/groups you wish to work with. And of course, check out the Careers for the Common Good Career Fair on February 21st (snow date: February 27th ) from 11am-3pm on the 3rd floor of the Student Union to find an internship or job and gain experience in social work and related fields!