International student career specialist Marcelo Barros was recently interviewed by Vault and provided alternative visa solutions for international students who are not selected during the H-1B lottery process. Marcelo suggests that students consider the following options:
- OPT extension;
- Specific work visas for certain citizens;
- The O-1 “extraordinary ability” visa;
- Temporary relocation and return under the L-1 “intracompany transferee” visa;
- Work out of your home country and later transfer back to the U.S.;
- Target organizations that don’t participate in the lottery
Meet with a Career Coach
Additionally in the article, Marcelo explained, “I recommend that international students sit down with career advisors from their universities to find specific job-search strategies that might give them the best chances of securing good U.S. jobs in their fields. This is one of the key strengths of the U.S. education system: the chance to receive customized feedback about your job-search needs.”
Visit the Center for Career Development at UConn to Schedule a Career Coaching Session.
Read the full article by Derek Loosvelt, Senior Finance Editor, 6 Options for International Students Who Didn’t Win the H-1B Lottery.