Bridge the gap between “where you are” and “where you want to be” through the goal-oriented & action-oriented process of career coaching. Meet with a dedicated professional to discuss your academic & career related plans, and get empowered to make decisions & move forward.
Appointment times vary in length (20-60 minutes) and based on the outcome of each appointment, future ones may be scheduled. Availability can be from same day to a few days to two weeks from when the appointment is scheduled.
New to the Center for Career Development? Unsure where/how to start? Hoping to talk to someone today? Start with a 20-minute Career Coaching Appointment.
Career Coaching Topics
- Major exploration
- Career exploration
- Internship, co-op, or full-time job search
- Graduate school
- LinkedIn consultation
- Written documents review (résumé, CV, cover letters, personal statements, teaching philosophy, etc.)
Prepare for Career Coaching
- Visit our vast array of career resources online, as many preliminary topics are introduced on the website and can provide the foundation for the appointment
- Bring any paperwork, questions, or information with you that may facilitate the conversation, especially if you have a specific topic
- Arrive about five minutes before your appointment time to check in and get settled
What Happens in Career Coaching?
- A conversation and questions about what brought you to the Center for Career Development, as well as what you are looking to accomplish in the appointment
- Based on what is discussed, some topics may be resolved in one appointment, while others are better suited for a follow-up conversation
- You may return as often as needed, either for the same topic or for something different
- Center for Career Development staff members will respect your values, ideals and perspectives while offering insight and information on your career related thoughts or concerns
Checking In for Career Coaching
- Upon arriving at the Center for Career Development for an in-person appointment, you will be greeted by the friendly reception staff and asked to check-in for your appointment at a computer station
- The Center for Career Development staff will call individuals for telephone/virtual appointments from a number provided when scheduling the appointment
- After meeting the Center for Career Development staff member who will be working you, you will be given the opportunity to discuss your topics in a private, safe, and supported environment
Alumni Career Coaching
Alumni should call the Center for Career Development at (860) 486-3013 to understand what services are available and how those services can be accessed. The Center for Career Development can provide full services to Alumni who graduated within the previous three years. If you graduated more than three years ago, call the office between 8:00AM and 5:00PM weekdays to learn what services are available.
All alumni may participate in Career Fairs and the online job posting system called HuskyCareerLink. Using your school email address (or personal email address if you no longer use your UConn email), follow the directions to sign up for a new account. Within 2 business days from submission of the form you will receive access to your account. Should you run into any difficulty, please email email@example.com with your full name, PeopleSoft number, personal email address, phone number and date of birth.