What Is Career Everywhere?
The mission of Career Everywhere is to ensure that all students have the tools and resources needed for post-graduation success. This will be achieved by integrating career development methodology into every facet of a student’s experience at the University of Connecticut.
Through intentionally infusing career development into the UConn experience, Career Everywhere provides access and equity to career development for all students including underrepresented and marginalized populations.
Why is Career Everywhere Important?
Eighty-eight percent of first-year students cite their reason for attending college is to get a better job, (Gallup/Lumina poll. UCLA, CIRP, Gallup/IHE). This makes it critical to ensure those providing advice to UConn students have the resources and tools to provide sound career information and advice. Most Alumni say that they received more information from faculty and University staff than from the Career Center, which makes it imperative that the Career Center work closely with faculty and staff to provide the most up-to-date resources, trends, data, and information to share with their students.
2018 Strada-Gallup Alumni Survey “Mentoring College Students to Success”:
- Eighty-eight percent of graduates received at least some career advice from either faculty or career services
- Graduates are more likely to have received career advice from faculty or staff members than from the career services office
- While a third of graduates say they received career advice from faculty or staff often or very often, 22% say the same about the career services office
How is Career Everywhere Accomplished?
Career Everywhere spreads awareness and integration of career development and career competencies more broadly across campus in a way that ensures consistent messaging to students, through the Career Champion Program. It also provides an opportunity to bring those members of the Career Everywhere community together for training, discussions, and brainstorming around career issues as they relate to UConn students in an effort to continue learning from one another and providing more comprehensive and specific information to our students.
In support of Career Everywhere, the Center for Career Development sponsors a Career Champion Program that connects and engages faculty, staff, alumni, and employer partners who are actively assisting students in determining and reaching their career goals.
Benefits to Becoming a Career Champion
In addition to continuing to help UConn students make more intentional career decisions and become more confident in their career plans, there are additional benefits you will find in being a part of the Career Champion community which include:
- Exclusive access to live and on-demand training events highlighting the latest resources and best practices in career development
- Opportunity to meet and connect with like-minded faculty, staff, employers, and alumni
- Access to pre-designed career development modules for your existing curriculum. Modules reinforce vital steps in the career development journeys of students and can be embedded directly into your HuskyCT courses
- Name/picture displayed on the Center for Career Development website
- Invitation to Career Champion thank you events including receptions and awards ceremonies, where you’ll be recognized for your career-related work and contributions to Career Everywhere
- Special invitations to Center events that feature employers and alumni
- A letter from the AVP and Executive Director of the Center for Career Development to your supervisor
How do I Become a Career Champion?We invite you to become a Career Champion by completing this enrollment form at any point during the semester so we can determine how our Career Champions are working with our students and acknowledge your commitment to helping students reach their career goals. Information Sessions for those looking to learn more about the program or those who have already enrolled will be hosted monthly. You will be able to learn more about why you might want to participate, how you can make the most of what you are already doing around career, and ways you can deepen your knowledge and understanding of career decision-making. To inquire about the next information session, email CareerChampions@uconn.edu.