Your career development never ends. It is an ongoing process where you are accountable for your own success. It requires strategic networking, keeping your personal brand current, and obtaining training and knowledge that will contribute to your professional growth and career goals.
Implement Post-UConn Plan
- Review the job search checklist to help you as you implement your post-UConn plan.
- Look for jobs in your fields of interest.
- Keep in mind that a lot of jobs are not advertised. So be on the lookout to tap into the hidden job market by effectively networking with colleagues, peers, and industry contacts.
Manage Short-Term Career Growth
- Seek out new responsibilities in your current role
- Volunteer to gain skills outside of your day-to-day work
- Enroll in relevant trainings or certifications
- Consistently Network, setting monthly goals for making connections and having conversations
Develop Long-Term Career Goals
- Find a mentor who can provide you with advice and feedback.
- Expose yourself to new experiences and pay attention to what interests and excites you.
- If you have a job, do not forget about engaging in continuous career development opportunities.
- Join one or more professional associations relevant to your current or future career, and participate in any career development offerings.
- Identify some new goals and action steps to achieve them.
- Ask yourself where you want to be in 5 years; and identify and take the steps that you need to turn your visions into reality.
- Ascertain that all your professional moves are geared towards achieving the big picture that you have in mind for yourself professionally.
Always look for new ways to manage your career. Here are some recommended reads and videos to cultivate your career development:
|Return to Graduate Student & Postdoctoral Scholar Homepage|